Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 7 - Altered Playing Card Challenge

Always a week behind ... whats with that ? LOL But only missed it by a day this week - yay.

Here are my Altered Playing Cards for Claudine Criners challenge. I really enjoyed this weeks nautical theme.


The first seahorse one was actually made using the playing card I punched a circle out of in a recent challenge. Here is my inked background and embossed clear film :
 I used a Stampin' Up! set called By the Tide for the gorgeous coral and seahorse. You know sometimes you learn interesting things and techniques by accident .... well here is my daily learn. Because I do not have many colors of permanent ink, sometimes when I use/stamp with pigment/water based ink it takes too long to dry on the gesso'd background, so I emboss it. Look what happened - look at that yummy texture as the ink and gesso on top of the plastic playing card bubbles when heated. It adds so much depth to my underwater card - I loved it.
 I dont know why I added a sort of port hole, it just seemed right somehow to frame that circle. I took a pic of how to get the perfect frame using punches : Punch the smaller first and the second later. Seems so easy when you know how .... LOL
My seahorse was sponged and crackle glaze added. I also added bubbles with a Designs by Ryn bubble stamp - if you dont have these, your stash is severely lacking ;-). The bolts on the port hole are made using liquid pearls, and the wording 'Love Nature' is actually a free stamp from the Craft Stamper magazine. I switched the words around though, they stamps 'Nature love'.

A close up of the end result :

I see that Designs by Ryn now has a challenge blog, so I submitted my little seahorse card :) Fingers crossed, I really love her stamps x

For my second card I used images from a Technique Tuesday stamp set, All aboard. Love the tall ship and the Bon Voyage sentiment. The sentiment stamped a little lighter than I expected, so I lightly embossed it :) Its all trial and error ....
I also used a few background stamps, Off the Grid by Stampin' Up! and a Ranger Architectural image for the compass. The circular anchor image is from the Stampin' Up! set By the Tide. My finished card :


4 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! I especially love the ship card (I love ships), but I also love that cool texture on the first card.

    I don't think I'll ever catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great little cards Nikki. Isn't it interesting finding new techniques accidently as you did with the first card? I just might have to try that one for myself LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nikki,
    Just saw your post to my Facebook page. Great to hear from you again :) Love both of these! You did a great job with the theme.
    Thought I'd let you know that I've created a permanent home for the Customer Creation Draw. You are most welcome to enter this for October. The current draw is always on the top navigation bar of my blog. Here's the link: http://designsbyryn.blogspot.ca/2014/10/october-customer-creation-challenge.html
    All my best to you!
    Ryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both these cards are fab Nikki !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love, your comments make my day :)