Thursday, March 6, 2014

Freedom to Sing journal page

I was fortunate enough to encounter Karen from Southern Ridge Trading Company at a craft event recently, and spent time looking through her baskets of wonderful-ness, various wooden and chipboard die cuts in all shapes and sizes, some delicate and intricate, others more sturdy - it was exciting. 

One little bird caught my eye. He was bagged up with his little friends but was desperate to feature in my next art journal page, so I enabled him ! lol


Here is a close up of the right side of the page :



The inspiration for this page came from a poem I had recently read about acceptance, and in particular accepting ourselves for who we are. Unfortunately I didn't note the authors name of this poem. I would like to think we all have the freedom to sing and simply 'be'. This bird was perfect, he looks confident and was the perfect size.

The background is made from a Donna Salazar Designs paperpack called Fun & Funky, I was loving the chicken wire. The torn pieces were glued into my Moleskin art journal with gel medium and I coated the pages so that I could go in with my Faber Castell Big Brush pen to add some depth and shading to the background. I whitened the edge of the page with white acrylic paint. The whimsical birdcage is from a Prima stamp set.  I stamped the words using an Image Tree alphabet stamp set and applied a washi tape musical road for my bird.

A close up of my bird :
He is quite thick, sturdy chipboard. I put a layer of clear gesso onto him to get a little tooth for my gelato's and so I could work with a wet medium. I colored him with chocolate, butterscotch and tangerine gelato, and used my aqua painter to blend and move the colors around. As you can see, he has red lips /beak.... yes, he is a very fortunate whimsical bird. lol. A couple of layers of clear embossing powder put the finishing touches to his appearance. Isn't he cute. 

Your instructions for today ... go forth, sing and be you - everyone else is already taken.
Nikki x

1 comment:

Please leave me some love, your comments make my day :)